Compare prices for unoccupied commercial property insurance NI

We compare a range of competitive insurers

Get quotes in minutes and start saving

All types of commercial property covered

Insurance you can trust

FCA Authorised and Regulated

Apricot is fully FCA authorised and regulated.

Friendly UK Customer Service

Our friendly UK team has over 35 years combined experience.

Competitive Quotes

Dedicated to saving you time and money.

Policies to Suit Your Needs

Need add-ons or extra cover? No problem, we’ll tailor to your requirements.

Protected by FSCS

All Apricot’s policies are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme for your peace of mind.

Proud BIBA Members

Established members of the British Insurance Brokers Association.

Unoccupied commercial property insurance NI

If your commercial premises is going to be empty for a period of time, you still need insurance! And, most likely, you’ll need a policy designed specifically for an unoccupied property. Being based in Northern Ireland, it can be even more difficult to find quality specialist cover at a good price. Apricot solves this need. All you need to do is fill in a short form about you, your property and your requirements, and we’ll provide quotes in minutes. See if you could save a lot with Apricot!

Car Insurance

Get covered in 3 easy steps

Fill in a quick form

We'll call you straight back with our best quote

Get covered!

Or simply pick up the phone and call our experienced and friendly team on 028 9061 6718​

What our customers say about Apricot Insurance

Unoccupied commercial property insurance NI

While insurance for all commercial properties is a must, whether it’s a shop, an office or a restaurant for example, your commercial property is viewed as more of a risk when it’s unoccupied so you’ll need to find an insurance policy which offers you the right level of cover if your property won’t be in use for some time.

Finding the best unoccupied commercial property insurance in NI can be tricky and time consuming but we’re here to help you. You’re just one form away from competitive unoccupied commercial property insurance quotes, providing just what you need.

Why won’t my normal commercial property insurance cover the unoccupied property in Northern Ireland?

If you take a read through your standard commercial property insurance policy you’ll find that there’s a set period of time that they’ll offer you full coverage when the property is unoccupied. Go beyond this time frame and you no longer have coverage.

As such, your unoccupied commercial property is classed as a higher risk and requires a different type of insurance policy.

Why is my unoccupied commercial property seen as a higher risk?

When your commercial property isn’t in regular use it becomes far more vulnerable to the likes of:

* Theft and vandalism

* Squatters

* Water damage

* Rising damp

* Mould

* Fire

These risks are all reduced when a commercial property is in use.

How long can I leave my commercial property unoccupied before I’d need this type of insurance?

You will need to double check with your individual insurer. Normally in Northern Ireland, 30 consecutive unoccupied days is often stated. After this time your property would be classed as unoccupied and you’d need to take out an unoccupied commercial insurance policy.

What sort of cover will I get with an unoccupied commercial property insurance NI policy?

A basic policy will offer you cover for fire and natural disasters, or you could opt for a more comprehensive policy which will also cover your unoccupied commercial property for the likes of theft, vandalism, flooding, storms, water damage, subsidence, impacts and tree fallings.

If I still have stock and fittings in my commercial property, will these be covered?

In NI, contents and business stock aren’t always covered as standard by an unoccupied commercial property insurance policy, but you should be able to add it on as extra cover.

What requirements will my insurer expect for this type of policy?

For unoccupied commercial property insurance in Northern Ireland, you will probably be asked to take reasonable precautions such as providing sufficient security measures (alarm systems, secure locks and CCTV), turning off the utilities, removing any waste from the property and undertaking regular visits to inspect the property.

How can I bring down the cost of unoccupied commercial property insurance?

Secure your building with efficient locks and don’t forget to lock the windows too. Then enhance your security with alarms and CCTV.

To reduce you fire risks, ensure your fire alarms are fully functional and, on your regular inspections, check these each time.

Consider paying a larger excess and opt for an annual lump sum payment rather than a monthly one.