Get cheap car insurance quotes
Policies from under £250*
Better prices for better drivers - we reward your care and attention!
Highly experienced UK advisors
Insurance you can trust
FCA Authorised and Regulated
Apricot, and all the insurers on our panel, are fully FCA authorised and regulated.
Friendly UK Customer Service
Our friendly UK team has over 35 years combined experience in car insurance.
Get a quote online in minutes. Buy online or over the phone.
Policies to Suit Your Needs
Add options such as legal expenses cover, breakdown cover, etc.
Protected by FSCS
All policies are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme for your peace of mind.
Proud BIBA Members
Established members of the British Insurance Brokers Association.
Car Insurance NI
Whatever your age, location or the car you drive, shopping around to find the best car insurance can feel like hard work. If you are looking for car insurance, Belfast and other Northern Ireland drivers can turn to Apricot. We compare car insurance NI quotes from the leading UK insurers to find the best quote for you. Apricot will help you avoid overpaying for car insurance while ensuring you get the right coverage that best suits your needs.
Get covered online in 3 easy steps
Do a quick quote online
Pick a price and insurer
What our customers say about Apricot Insurance
“My household claim was settled promptly and to my total satisfaction, thank you for all your help.”
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
“I have bought my car insurance from Apricot Insurance for the last few years – their staff are always friendly and easy to deal with.”
“I am delighted that you could place my van insurance as I was having difficulty with other brokers. The premium was the best in the market and your attention to detail and friendly approach made it easy for me.”
What level of cover is available to drivers in Northern Ireland?
There are three levels of cover Northern Ireland motorists can choose from:
- Third-party insurance: This is the minimum level of car insurance all motorists in Northern Ireland must take out. It covers any injuries caused to another motorist, passenger or road user. It also covers damage to the other person’s vehicle, but not to your own car.
- Third-party, fire and theft: This provides the same cover as third-party insurance, but with the addition of paying out if your own car is stolen or damaged in a fire.
- Fully comprehensive: This is the most comprehensive level of car insurance NI drivers can take out. It covers the same as third party, fire and theft but with the addition of covering the cost of repairing your own vehicle or, if appropriate, replacing your car with one of equal value if it’s written off.
Does my UK car insurance cover me in Northern Ireland?
Yes, cars insured in England, Scotland and Wales are automatically insured to drive in Northern Ireland. If you plan to be in Ireland for longer than 90 days, it’s a good idea to inform your insurer in case you need additional cover. If you intend to relocate to Northern Ireland from another part of the UK permanently, contact your insurer to change your contact details.
Can I drive my car in England with Northern Ireland car insurance cover?
Yes, you can drive your car in England, Scotland and Wales under your Northern Ireland car insurance. If you are moving to another part of the UK from Northern Ireland, you must inform your insurer of your new address.
Should I use a car insurance provider based in Northern Ireland?
It’s a good idea to get quotes from local providers in Northern Ireland, such as Apricot Insurance. We work with insurance providers across the UK, including Northern Ireland, to find the best car insurance quotes.
Can I get a car insurance quote from a Belfast provider?
Yes, several Belfast-based car insurance providers, such as Apricot Insurance, will help you find the best car insurance quote.
Can I get car insurance regardless of where I live?
You can get car insurance wherever you live in Northern Ireland, including Antrim, Banbridge, Bangor, Belfast, Carrickfergus, Coleraine, Cookstown, Derry, Lisburn, Londonderry and Omagh.
Where in Northern Ireland has the cheapest car insurance?
The cheapest place to insure a car in Northern Ireland is County Down, while the most expensive is County Tyrone. Car insurers consider various location-based factors such as your area’s accident rate, crime rate and congestion levels.
Does my car insurance cover me to drive between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland?
As the UK is no longer part of the EU, if you want to drive across the border from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland, you will require a green card certificate from your insurer. Most Northern Ireland insurance providers include annual coverage of 60 to 90 days in the Republic of Ireland. Check with your new insurer about your coverage in the Republic of Ireland before you travel.
Does car insurance cover items kept in my car?
Most comprehensive car insurance policies will cover the loss of or damage to belongings in your vehicle in the event of fire or theft.
Does car insurance cover car keys?
If you have comprehensive car insurance, most car insurance providers will cover the cost of replacing your ignition keys. This cover usually includes replacing the affected locks and parts of the alarm or immobiliser and the lock transmitter and central locking interface.
How old do I have to be to get car insurance?
Car insurance is available to drivers from the age of 17 (including learner driver insurance) up to 84 years old. New car insurance policies are not usually offered to drivers aged 85 and over.
How do I get a car insurance quote?
You can get a car insurance quote quickly and easily by car insurance online quotes. We will then search our database of the UK’s top car insurance providers to find you the best quotes. Once you’ve received your car insurance NI quote, you can purchase your policy online or contact us, and we will complete your purchase on your behalf.
Does my age affect my insurance premium?
Yes, your age can affect insurance prices as it indicates your risk to the insurer. Younger drivers are more likely to be involved in a car accident when compared to older, more experienced drivers.
How can I get cheap car insurance NI quotes?
You can help to reduce your car insurance quote by:
- Driving a car with a small engine: Cars with smaller engines fall into a lower car insurance group, making them cheaper to insure
- Parking your car in a private driveway or garage overnight: Cars parked on the road have a greater chance of being targeted by thieves or damaged by passing vehicles. Keeping them off-road puts them less at risk and can lead to cheaper insurance quotes
- Choosing telematics or black box insurance: Black box or telematics insurance is usually cheaper because the black box tracks your driving habits so your insurer can determine the type of driver you are and adjust your premium accordingly
- Comparing car insurance NI quotes: Car insurance premiums vary considerably across insurers, so comparing car insurance quotes with Apricot Insurance will help to ensure you get the best price
- Increasing your excess: Increasing the amount of excess you pay if your car needs a repair or replacement will lower your premiums
At Apricot Insurance, we work with the UK’s top insurance companies to find you the best quotes on your car insurance. To find out more about how we can help you, contact us today.