Compare prices for unoccupied home insurance NI

We compare a range of competitive insurers

Get quotes in minutes and start saving

All types of building covered

Insurance you can trust

FCA Authorised and Regulated

Apricot is fully FCA authorised and regulated.

Friendly UK Customer Service

Our friendly UK team has over 35 years combined experience.

Competitive Quotes

Dedicated to saving you time and money.

Policies to Suit Your Needs

Need add-ons or extra cover? No problem, we’ll tailor to your requirements.

Protected by FSCS

All Apricot’s policies are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme for your peace of mind.

Proud BIBA Members

Established members of the British Insurance Brokers Association.

Unoccupied home insurance NI

If you’re looking for unoccupied home insurance in Northern Ireland, you’ve come to the right place. You’ve probably discovered that your standard home insurance policy doesn’t provide cover for longer periods without occupants. Generally 30 or 60 days tends to be the limit, and beyond that specialist unoccupied insurance NI is needed. We’ll provide quotes in minutes – all you need to do is fill in a quick quote form with some details and requirements, and we’ll take care of it from there. See how much you can save today.

Car Insurance

Get covered in 3 easy steps

Fill in a quick form

We'll call you straight back with our best quote

Get covered!

Or simply pick up the phone and call our experienced and friendly team on 028 9061 6718​

What our customers say about Apricot Insurance

Unoccupied home insurance NI

A standard home and contents insurance policy only permits a home to sit unoccupied for a certain period of time, so when you need a longer period than this, unoccupied home insurance NI comes into play.

The perfect insurance policy will be tailored to your unique scenario, but finding that great fit can take time and effort. Don’t worry.  We’ve already put in the hard work, so now all you have to do is complete a quick form and we’ll reward you with speedy quotes, offering you just what you need.

When will I need unoccupied home insurance in Northern Ireland?

Check your home insurance policy and you’ll find they stipulate a set period that they’ll cover your home once it’s unoccupied. If you know your house in Northern Ireland will be unoccupied for a longer period, in NI, unoccupied home insurance, also known as empty house insurance, must be secured to protect your home from damage and contents from theft.

Situations where you will need unoccupied home insurance include:

* When selling a house or when moving

* During renovations

* During a long holiday or whilst travelling

* Following the death of the property’s owner, whilst probate is being granted

* When you’re waiting for new tenants

* When you’re between holiday-home bookings or visits. 

What period is covered by your NI unoccupied house insurance policy?

The insurer will usually allow you select from periods of three, six, nine or twelve months. 

What sort of protection does unoccupied property insurance offer my property?

This varies depending on the insurance policy. The basic ones cover against fire and natural disasters.

More comprehensive policies cover additional risks such as storm and flood damage, theft and vandalism, subsidence and property owner’s liability. 

My property is unoccupied, but not empty. Will this insurance cover my contents?

In Northern Ireland, unoccupied home insurance can nearly always be extended to provide cover for any contents in the property. Be careful as this cover doesn’t always come as standard. 

Can I still get empty home insurance if my property is for sale?

Yes, and this is the ideal insurance cover if selling your house is taking longer than you’d anticipated. 

Some of the NI unoccupied home insurance policies I’m interested in offer public liability cover. Why?

This cover protects you should a member of the public get hurt whilst in or on your property. Therefore, you might consider it should your home be undergoing renovations, or your home is on the market receiving regular viewings. In both of these instances, you may be liable should an injury occur to a builder or viewer. Public liability insurance covers you against any claims made against you in this regard.

How can I bring down the cost of my unoccupied home insurance for Northern Irish properties?

There are obvious risks associated with an unoccupied home, since it can be a greater target for theft and vandalism. For this reason, installing extra security such as CCTV and alarm systems will help to bring down your insurance costs.

Does this insurance policy cover unoccupied commercial properties?

No, although much of the cover will be the same, you need a specific policy for unoccupied commercial properties.