Unoccupied commercial property insurance

Maximise your savings

Expert help - friendly UK based advisors

Instant cover available

Insurance you can trust

FCA Authorised and Regulated

Apricot is fully FCA authorised and regulated.

Friendly UK Customer Service

Our friendly UK team has over 35 years combined experience.

Competitive Quotes

Dedicated to saving you time and money.

Policies to Suit Your Needs

Need add-ons or extra cover? No problem, we’ll tailor to your requirements.

Protected by FSCS

All Apricot’s policies are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme for your peace of mind.

Proud BIBA Members

Established members of the British Insurance Brokers Association.

Unoccupied commercial property insurance UK

Whatever type of commercial property, if it’s going to be empty, whether temporarily or long-term, insurance is still likely to be essential. You’ll need a specialist policy for an unoccupied property, as the risks are different. This type of cover isn’t as common as standard commercial property insurance, so it can be trickier to find a competitive deal. Apricot work with specialist insurers to find you the right cover at the right price. Give us a try today and see how much you can save.

Car Insurance

Get covered in 3 easy steps

Fill in a quick form

We'll call you straight back with our best quote

Get covered!

Or simply pick up the phone and call our experienced and friendly team on 028 9061 6718​

What our customers say about Apricot Insurance

Unoccupied commercial property insurance UK

If you own a commercial building that you plan to leave empty, unoccupied commercial property insurance protects you. It will cover you for damages caused to the building and its contents when unoccupied.

What is unoccupied commercial property insurance?

Building owners and landlords use unoccupied commercial insurance to cover damages incurred to an empty building. You will only need it if your building is going to stand empty for a period of more than 30 days. Otherwise, you may find your standard commercial buildings contents insurance, or buildings insurance, covers your property.

What does UK unoccupied commercial property insurance cover?

In the UK unoccupied commercial property insurance protects you against building damages. If you have a leak or a faulty door, the insurance will cover it. If the contents of the building are damaged, you are covered. The insurer will pay out to cover costs of any damage to the interior and exterior of your commercial property.

Is vacant commercial property insurance the same thing?

Yes, vacant commercial property insurance is another way of saying unoccupied commercial building insurance.

What other types of commercial insurance might you need?

If you are a landlord of a commercial property, check if you need commercial landlord insurance. You may also wish to research public liability insurance and office insurance.

Do you need unoccupied commercial property insurance in the UK?

If you are planning on leaving your commercial property vacant for over 30 days, then yes, you do. If you are leaving a property vacant for less than 30 days, you may find that your standard contents insurance covers this period. Check the wording of your policy documents before you buy.

Do you need unoccupied commercial property insurance if you live in NI?

The rules on buying unoccupied commercial property insurance in Northern Ireland are the same as they are in the UK. The same period of 30 days applies, and businesses with vacant premises are subject to the same rules.

Is it a legal requirement to have vacant commercial property insurance in the UK?

No, the law does not state that you must buy this cover. However, if you are leaving a building empty for any length of time, this insurance will help you protect it. Commercial buildings can have expensive interiors, so insuring against damage protects your investment.

How long can a property stand empty before it needs insurance?

A commercial property should not stand empty for longer than 30 days without insurance. You should check any existing policies to ensure this applies to you.

Is my commercial building covered for being vacant on standard insurance policies?

It is not likely that you are covered by commercial building insurance after that 30 day period is up. You should take out additional unoccupied commercial building insurance after this period.

Where can I compare quotes on unoccupied commercial building insurance?

You can compare quotes quickly and efficiently by using our online unoccupied commercial building insurance quotes page. We offer quotes from a plentiful list of UK based insurance providers. Our quote comparison service gives you everything you need to receive competitive quotes.